Thursday, February 17, 2011

How To Change Your Life Forever

Raspberry Bread Pudding

  • 1 1/2 loaves white bread, aged
Tear bread into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Set aside in large bowl.
  • 1 quart half & half
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
In a medium bowl, whisk together the half & half, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Continue stirring until sugar is dissolved.

Pour half & half mixture over bread. Stir gently to coat all bread chunks. Let stand for half an hour stirring every 5 minutes.
  • 5 cups raspberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
In a medium mixing bowl (I rinse out and use the same bowl from the last conglomeration), gently stir together the raspberries, sugar, and apple juice until the sugar is dissolved.

Fill a 9x13 baking dish half full with the bread mixture. Spread the raspberry deliciousness over the bread. Top with the rest of the bread mixture.

Bake 40 minutes in a 375° oven.


Vanilla Cream Sauce

  • 1 1/3 cups butter
  • 5 tbsp flour
Melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat until it starts to smell a little nutty. Do not cook long enough for butter to brown.
  • ½ salt
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 2/3 cups sugar
Add salt, cream, and sugar. Stir continually until mixture thickens to a nice saucy thickness. (This is personal preference. Some people like their sauce thin and runny. I like my sauce thick enough that it stays where I put it.) Remove sauce from heat.
    • 2 tsp vanilla
    Stir in vanilla.

      3 comments:

      1. Oh my goodness. This looks intense and amazing.

        What is "aged" bread exactly?

        ReplyDelete
      2. My jaw literally dropped when I read the name of this dish. Bread pudding is pretty much the best thing ever and I didn't realize it could be topped like you just did. I know what I'm doing for my birthday dessert this year!

        ReplyDelete
      3. Aged bread = old, stale bread. It soaks up all the yumminess better. However, I did not use stale bread, unless you count sitting on my counter for 24 hours after I bought it 'aged.' I was too excited to wait for it to get stale.

        And yes, bread pudding is pretty much the best thing ever.

        ReplyDelete