Tuesday, September 17, 2013

MLT

Last night we made dinner. At home. It was amazing.

We had to buy some basic cooking utensils and a frying pan as our cabinets are not quite usable yet and everything is still packed away.

We used plump garden tomatoes and high quality bacon and put together some stellar BLTs. We also used one of our new ovens to bake up some sweet potato fries. I'm pretty sure nothing has ever tasted quite so delicious.

I've always been fond of BLTs. As a child it was one of my most ordered items at restaurants. Of course, back then my family liked to tease me (led by my father; why is it always the father?) and say I was ordering an MLT: mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato. Apparently a BLT without bacon isn't actually a BLT.

I do miss seeing the stupefied faces of our waiters. My parents believed in teaching us how to function in the world, thus we were responsible for our own ordering. The waiters would slant their eyes over to my mother. Are you okay with me feeding your child a BLT without the B? Of course she was, and of course that is what I wanted. Really, there is almost nothing better than a nice MLT and a pile of fries.

I still don't eat bacon as a general rule. On a BLT I'll allow it. Unless it's soggy and been too enthusiastically spread over a poor showing of vegetables. Then it's back to the traditional, childhood favorite, MLT.

Now that we've got dinner making out of the way, it's time to move on to things of greater importance. BLTs are well enough, but I need to make me some cookies. If the mixing bowls and cookie ingredients aren't unearthed in the next couple of days, I might be lost to cookie insanity. It's a thing.

1 comment:

  1. It IS a thing. And you should probably make those cookies. And maybe share. That's a thing too...#shamelessbeggingisalsoathing

    ReplyDelete