Thursday, January 20, 2011

Las Vegas

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Day. Three-day weekend = I’m outta here! I spent my mini vacation in Las Vegas, basking in the gorgeous, sunny mid-60s weather. My aunt and uncle were kind enough to offer me and my sister a place to lay our weary heads at night. Lucky for us cause all that sunny weather, amazing shopping, and awesome food is enough to tire out any girl.

My aunt and uncle, along with a place to rest our weary heads, are also excellent providers of lots of laughter, lots of thinking, and lots of conversationaling—three things that are tragically difficult to find. Thanks Aunt and Uncle.

I also had an opportunity to begin working on my 24/24 list.

10 Kelly and I started the drive to Vegas Friday after work, at about 3:31 pm. The sunset was amazing in a very nontraditional sunset kind of way. The colors are indescribable. If you think of a sunset I am pretty sure these colors wouldn’t come to mind. It was the prettiest sunset I have seen in a long time.  It reminded me of all the things that were perfect  in this world. And then I wasn’t thinking at all. But . . . is it possible to “visit” a sunset? 

13 I may have fulfilled my requirement to do something disgustingly touristy.  Kelly and I took Tommy (my delightful GPS device) to Vegas with us. He struggled a bit when it came to the spaghetti bowl.  Don’t worry, we only got off the freeway to get right back on, per Tommy’s instructions, four or five times. (And then we put him away. I was better at navigating without him.) I am not sure if I am going to count it. It is not what I had in mind, but what reason is there for discriminating against something that was not in my mind?

21 I started setting out my pennies! Good thing cause I have so far to go. I was disappointed in the lack of fountains I found. There were a couple, but they weren’t spraying. I need to improve my fountain sleuthing skills.

First penny strategically placed to bring good luck. I am happy to report that when I visited the spot four days later (the gas station was the first and last place we stopped), my penny was gone.









Four more pennies, placed to bring good luck. Don't worry, I just left the pennies, not the bags of wonderful stuff.

Verdict:
13 – not complete
10 – not begun
21 – 1% complete

PS Is anyone else disturbed that I didn't think about Martin Luther King Jr. once over the weekend? I didn't think about him, I didn't think about what he fought for, and I didn't think about how he changed our nation. Who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment