Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Why Run?



I'm reading this book. It wasn't on my currently reading list, but it was sitting on my bookshelf and it's from the library, so I'm reading it.

Amby Burfoot, the author, is an editor of Runner's World Magazine. It's obvious from the way this book is put together that she is quite adept at the short, magazine article style of writing. It's not my favorite way to read a book, but it does make for quick reading and the information she provides is still valid.

There are ten parts to this book and I've just finished reading Part 1: Why Run? This section was longer than I wanted it to be, but chances are if you're struggling to find the motivation to run, something in this section will inspire you which I'm sure was her intention and explains the length of this section.

But you don't need to read this book, or any book, to find good reasons to run. The best motivation for anything comes from yourself. Figure out why you want to do something, whether it be running or something else, and keep those things in mind always. When it gets hard, remind yourself why you're doing it. If it's important enough to you, if you constantly remind yourself why it is a priority, you'll get it done.

I'm changing up the way I do running a little bit. Mostly the changes I am making are things I intended to do anyway, but reading the first section of this book has given me the oomph I need to get them done.

1) I've moved my activity log from my ipad to an empty journal I had lying around. (I have oodles of empty journals. I always feel proud of myself when I have a good use for one; it legitimizes my keeping them around.) I prefer a physical activity log to the virtual log. I'll be better about keeping it, happier to write in it after an exercise, and potentially motivated to run when I don't want to just so I can put it in my activity log. I entered Saturday's 5k as my first entry in my new log. That way, whenever I'm feeling discouraged, I can look at my first entry and remember what a success it was. Remembering that my first entry was a success will remind me that any entry in my activity log is an entry of success.

2) I've adopted a simple reward system. Kelly Belly and I are champion celebrators when it comes to doing something unique and specific (like taking a big test or teaching that RS lesson you've been dreading), but I'm not very good at rewarding myself for the constant, little things that are difficult to keep up. A reward is never enough to make me do something I don't want to do, but it does make me happier when I complete something I was going to do anyway. The book suggested purchasing a piggy bank and giving yourself a quarter each time you complete a training session. I've already got a piggy bank and I like the idea of giving myself money to treat myself with. (One of the books on my currently reading bookshelf is about personal finance. I'm trying to be more deliberate about my purchases as I work toward being more fiscally responsible overall. That means less spontaneous buying. Having a little piggy with some extra cash in it that I've sweat and toiled over might just be perfect.)

3) I'm writing out my reasons for running on 3x5 cards. I have a fetish for 3x5 cards and use them for all sorts of random things. I use a single 3x5 card for each reason. "I run because . . ." or "I run for . . . " followed by one of the reasons I run. I know why I run, but it would be nice to have my reasons delineated like that. Then, when I'm feeling like running is the worst idea ever, I don't have to work to come up with good reasons to run. They'll be right there in front of me written on 3x5 cards in cute, sharpie colors.

4) I'm going to hit up the fabric store and purchase a fat quarter that I just love. I'll turn it into a strip of fabric that I can tack up to my wall. I plan to pin up all my running bibs so I can see what I've done. A little silly maybe, but I never thought I'd ever run a race, let alone several. It's a reminder to myself that I can do things that I never thought I could or would. It's me reminding myself that I am awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! You made me want to read that book. I'm so proud of you for your race--and now you're going to do more. Go you!

    I wish I did more races. It's so hard for me to justify paying money to run when I can just do it for free. But I love running in the big pack and all the adrenalin.

    The best advice I've ever been given about running is to do it every day--or I guess just work out every day. (I actually don't think it's good to run every single day.) But when I work out every day, I actually do it. If I say I'm going to do it three or four times a week, I never do it for some reason.

    Oh, and I thought I was the only person who loved 3x5 notecards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, this is just a reminder that you are not the only one who knows that you're awesome. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete