Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Paul Harding

Paul Harding, the author of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize winning novel Tinkers, spoke at OPL last night. Tinkers was the pick for this years Orem Reads. I had intended to go to the kickoff event, pick up my copy of Tinkers, read it during my lovely vacation, and then listen to Harding speak. I didn't go to the kickoff event, I didn't get a copy of the novel, and I didn't go on vacation. I decided I wasn't going to be a participant at all in this year's Orem Reads and deliberately stopped remembering when various events were being held, including Harding's visit.

My life very courteously arranged itself in such a way as to allow me to attend without reminding me that I had an event to attend. Had I been reminded I'm sure I would have decided it was too cold and rainy to go and I hadn't read the book anyway, so why?

Intending only to drop a book off in the drive through book drop, I drove to the library. The rain stopped just enough for me to feel I could dash inside to grab a new opera to listen to while I worked. I walked into the library, noticed the posters advertising Harding's reading, checked my phone to see I had eight minutes to spare, snagged a book from the staff recommendations to keep me company while I waited, and headed back to the storytelling wing.

Harding was delightful. His reading made the words so much more enjoyable, he answered questions with far too many words and tangents (something which I excel at), and I'm pretty sure I would enjoy being friends with him immensely. He also put words to why I love to write fiction so much; the subject of fiction is the human heart.

I can't wait to get started on Tinkers, which, thanks to the generous sponsors of Orem Reads, I now have a copy of.

I love my library.

1 comment:

  1. I love your library too. This book is so on my list of to-reads now.

    ReplyDelete