Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Halfway There

I'm participating in Nanowrimo again. I took a break last year so I could focus on getting my master's degree finished up. I've participated a few times before that but I have yet to win.

Nanowrimo win = writing 50,000 novel words during the month of November

This year, I'm going to be a winner.

I have 26,000 nanowrimo words. That's over three times more words than I've done before. I'm totally rocking it.

Nanowrimo.org is kind enough to keep track of how many words you have written on each day throughout the month.


My word count graph shows what I've always known about myself but haven't had concrete evidence of.

They say the only way to get somewhere is to take the first step and then keep walking.

If I set my mind to doing something I'll get there, never you fear, and the end result will be admirable. The journey, though, will be rife with stops and turns and twists and doubling back. It will be filled with butterfly chasing and cloud watching and circle skipping.

Writing 50,000 words in 30 days I can do. Will I take the full 30 days? Maybe. Will I sit down every one of those 30 days to write just 1667 words? Never. I write and then I don't write. I put down a few words and then a lot of words and then no words.

This is how I live my life, jumping and skipping and laughing my way from point to point choosing for myself where and when and how. I thrive on inconsistency. My resolve perishes under given timelines and self-imposed schedules.

It may take me longer to get where I'm going, but then it may not. And that's half the fun of it.

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly right--you'll get there sooner, or later, or exactly on time, but the fun is not knowing so the potential for doing better than expected is always present. Good luck to you and me both this year!

    ReplyDelete