Thursday, May 8, 2014

Current Obsessions

There's one thing I have in common with each of my siblings. We are always moving on to the next big idea. It's impossible to know what's going to strike our fancy next, but we love exploring and learning and trying out new things. While this is true of all of us, I'm the worst culprit.

I've compiled a list of some of my current obsessions. These are things that I love but don't yet have a permanent place in my life. I have to work at them to make sure they have place. For all I know, they are a passing fancy, though I hope the majority make the move from passing fancy to permanence.

Neila Rey. This is one fancy lady. She's pretty much my fitness heroine.

Making my own swimsuit. I'm thinking this tutorial with a beautiful, green material to sew it up in. Something like this, maybe.

Yoga. I've gone so far as to make a list of things I'd like to acquire for my personal yoga practice. A foam roller, a yoga block (not the foam kind; a nice one of wood), a couple of small pillows, and a bolster.

Studying French. I'm using duolingo, coffee break French, and a couple of teach yourself French books that I picked up from Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago. I haven't missed a single day (besides the days when I was pretty much dying) since I decided it was definitely happening. Except Sunday. Sundays are always my break days. I've got four other members of my family hooked on studying Spanish and I'm planning to pounce on my grandmother soon.

Spring cleaning and decluttering. A couple Saturdays ago I did my bathroom. I pulled everything out and cleaned it top to bottom. I'm working with my Ma to get the office cleaned out. In the next couple of Saturdays I'll take care of my bedroom.

Meditation. I've tried it a few times over the past several months. I am not good at meditation. My brain whizzes around thinking about all sorts of things when I'm supposed to be focusing on my breathing and settling my mind. I will learn how to meditate effectively. I'm determined. I have a specific pillow that is now my meditation pillow.

Getting my car paid off by my two year anniversary of owning it. That might not sound big, but it's big. I bought it new and had no down payment to speak of. I decided just last month or the month before that it's going to happen. It's making me very poor but I'll be much less poor once it's done.

Black out curtains. For energy saving purposes.

Planks, push ups, pull ups, and chin ups.

General Conference. I'm determined to do an in-depth study of all the most recent talks. I've got a conference binder where I'll keep all my notes, a template for favorite quote flashcards, a list of prompts to help me focus my study of each talk, and a tentative schedule mapped out. Also, a couple of cousins to encourage and help me to stay focused.

Listening to all the keyboard solo cds at the library. This is going take a long time. I've checked out maybe ten so far.

Poetry. I've been less good about it the past couple of months, but I'm still reading it. I intend to begin writing a haiku a day again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment