Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Strawberry Cake

I've been trying to get Ma to join a CSA for years. No exaggeration. We love fresh produce and go through a lot of it. We also enjoy trying new things and finding new recipes. It seemed like a great idea. Fresh produce for less, all of it locally grown and picked just for you at the perfect time. What about this isn't a good idea?

Her answer: "No."

Not even an "I'll think about it," or an "That might be fun, but not right now."

After years of fruitless badgering and enthusiastic "Hey, won't this be a good idea!"'s, I couldn't take it anymore. I gave up. I resigned myself to not joining a CSA till I was grown enough to do it on my own (not that I couldn't now--it's just very likely that the position I am in life right now, were I to join a CSA on my own, much of the food I got would go bad before I got a chance to eat it).

Ma's dear friend Yinda has been exploring the different options you can get with a CSA for several years now. Recently, she switched to getting her produce through Bountiful Baskets. You sign up at the beginning of the week (instead of signing up for a season or a year with a CSA), and pick up your bountiful basket at the pick-up location of your choice on the weekend.

It was only a couple of Mondays ago that I wandered downstairs to find Ma and dear friend Yinda hunched over the computer discussing the pros and cons of sticking with the regular basket or getting the add-on basket.

I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. Here was my Ma, getting herself a bountiful basket. I told her I found her behavior somewhat traitorous.


Her response: "I don't remember talking with you about this."

Hm.

I loved our bountiful basket. So many delicious things. We still haven't used it all and it's been two weeks. I just managed to use up the five pounds of strawberries we got. I made this. And it was even more delicious than it looks. I definitely recommend.

Yay for bountiful baskets!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy Bountiful Baskets as well. And CSAs. I like that you only have to commit to do it once with Bountiful Baskets, though, and with CSAs, you're in for the long-haul. We did a CSA last summer and it was great but we got the same variety of produce a lot and that was kind of less cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to make that cake (as opposed to the strawberry lemonade). I think it was a good call and looks pretty to die for.

    ReplyDelete