Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bonsai, the Little Orange Guy

I've recently become obsessed with growing things. I don't know where it came from, but I'm in deep obsess.

I bought a small plant a few weeks ago. I have no idea what kind of plant it is, but it doesn't matter; I love him just the same. He's got oodles of gorgeous orange blossoms and the cutest little pot.

I have never been responsible for the livelihood of a young, growing, green thing but I'm all sorts of happy about it. He's grown about three inches since I got him, so apparently he's pretty happy about our associations, too (except for the part where he might be dying from being over watered and then underwatered).

I read this blog post a bit ago and I want to copy it exactly. I want more little, green, growing things in cute glass vases that can live and thrive under my care.

Yup, definitely an obsession.

Eventually I may acquire more green, growing things. For now, I'll stick with my little, orange guy. We're already well on our way to being the best of friends. It helps that this little guy doesn't like direct sunlight. He's perfect for my well-lit cubicle that gets oodles of natural light but not very much direct sunlight.

What my little orange guy doesn't know is that he is a test. I've wanted for several months to supplement my office environment with a bonsai tree. I know, I know—what a weird thing to suddenly want. But I do. I want a bonsai. (Admittedly, I've taken to calling my little, orange guy Bonsai, so technically I have a Bonsai. It's just not quite the same.)

A bonsai is more expensive, more care, and more dignified than my little, orange guy. It would be tragic to promise to love and support one for the rest of its bonsai days, only to have my obsession run its course. But maybe, if I take good care of my little, orange guy and he grows up big and strong, my obsession will turn into love, and my little, orange guy will make a new friend and I will become the caretaker of a real bonsai (not just a little, orange guy named Bonsai).

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! And I'm so happy for you! It kind of reminds me of getting Margo; she was a test run for children :) So far, so good. Post pictures of your orange Bonsai friend!

    ReplyDelete