Thursday, June 5, 2014

May Books

I'm going to make this quick because I'm behind by five days. How embarrassing.

I had a poor showing this month. I've been concentrating on other things. Even so, according to Goodreads I'm three books ahead of schedule for my yearly goal. Yes, I'm awesome.


The Forgotten Man was my favorite. I am not a fan of Roosevelt and someone needs to rewrite the history books to show an accurate portrayal of how he affected the depression, both positive and negative. Rita Dove's poetry was beautiful but a little beyond me. I think I need more practice reading poetry. (Any suggestions on where to start? I'm a little lost with poetry.) A World Without Princes was unexpected and well done, I thought. I like the symmetry of the endings between the first book and the second book. I intend to purchase Yoga for Runners and I loved A Breast Cancer Alphabet.

I counted up the books I have left to read on my shelf the other day. First, I organized them by type based on my current reading strategy (five books a month from five different categories with the extra book club book each month). I have enough classics to last me a year, enough fiction to last me more than a year, about half a year's worth of both children's fiction and nonfiction and three or four month's worth of history or biography.

The only book from my shelf in May was The Forgotten Man. My nonfiction and book club books for June will come from the library. I hope to pick the other four from my shelf. Which sounds hopelessly boring and not summer fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment