Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Things We Do

Last night I threw up all over everything.

When I say everything what I mean is, I threw up all over my very large bathroom (I might have purchased my house because of the bathroom), and then all over the floor and the toilet in the potty closet. Which made finishing my throw up session difficult.

Be grateful for double sinks.

Pro tip: barfing in a toilet is better than barfing on a toilet. Those boogers have a million nooks and crannies and you have to clean them all or the smell of barfings past will haunt all your potty sessions for months to come.

What am I doing on the computer? Well, I'm working.

I did take a sick day. I'm also working.

Put out one fire. Now I'm taking a little break. When I'm done here I'll put out another fire.

Yes, they did both need to be done today. With the holiday at the end of the week and a couple of January 4 launches that came down not very long ago from the president of the university himself, sometimes you have to work on your sick days.

My sick day will extend into tomorrow. Don't you worry.

Right now I feel like my head is going to explode.

Which could explain the barfing except for the fact that I threw up everything I ate yesterday.

Disgusting alert: bits of blueberry skin (from my oatmeal breakfast) and carrot shreds (from my lunchtime salad) are hard to mistake for anything else. Especially when you're trying desperately to keep your mind off the smell of the mess you're cleaning up because otherwise you'll start barfing up bile since your stomach is already empty. And the toilet is still covered in barf, so what would you do with it?

Questions to the universe:

  1. Why does barfing generally happen in the middle of the night?
  2. Why can't it smell like strawberries? Our body is one big mess of chemicals. It ought to work harder to smell good on the inside.
  3. Why am I always slammed with work that should have been done yesterday?
    1. Levels of urgent at my workplace:
      1. Drop everything else and get this done because we need it now.
      2. Ah! This should have been done three days ago. Drop everything you dropped all the other things for and get it done!
      3. WHY ISN'T THIS DONE! (people running around screaming in panic) GET IT DONE! NOWNOWNOWNOW
This is not an exaggeration. There are, of course, those projects that are meant to fill in the holes when we run out of things to do. Those projects are so unimportant they never get done because I'm never finished with the three levels of urgent.

Sometimes I miss the days of being an editor.

I don't miss the paycheck. The general lack of respect. The dehumanizing whenever anyone found out I was an editor. The delight in pointing out mistakes in my speech. (Even if I hadn't made one. People get surly when you try to explain why what you said is actually correct. They dislike feeling stupid. Which is funny, because they were trying to make me feel stupid so they could feel superior.)

I slept for a glorious five hours before logging in to put out fires. I'm sure I'll be tired enough to need a nap after I'm done with my work.

Once my nap is through, there's only one thing to be done.

I have 12 books checked out from the library. Plus two new novels from Christmas. I don't feel awesome, but I do feel good enough to read.

Being sick is not delightful.

I adore lounging in my bed doing nothing but reading and dreaming and sleeping. Best day ever.

On Being an Adult:
As an adult I had to clean up my own barf. I dry heave a lot. I don't barf a lot. This time I didn't dry heave. I just barfed.

It made me feel bad for my parents. All those nights as a child when they had to do the barf cleaning up, bathe me, put me in clean clothes, wash the sheets and clean the carpet.

My bathroom is tile so it wasn't hard to clean. I put myself in the shower and started my own load of laundry.

On Being a Child:
As I cleaned up my barf, I remembered being a child. My pa holding my hair and rubbing my back as I emptied my stomach. My ma putting me in one of her t-shirts and letting me snuggle close despite the probability of more barfing. They did all this simply because they loved me.

People are pretty incredible.

You should give your parents a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment