Wednesday, May 8, 2013

This Time Tomorrow

I thought I burned out the treadmill last night. It sort of flickered like the last dying breath of machinery and then died. The belt slowed to a stop and I panicked. Ah! I killed the treadmill!

Somehow, the small thunderstorm that gave a friendly rumble now and then was powerful enough somewhere else to cause my power to go out. Luckily for me, the master bath has a bank of windows with gauzy blinds. When I was nearly through with my shower the power came back on. Perhaps I hit the switch without thinking when I walked into the bathroom. The fan started whirring overhead and the light was glaring. It felt intrusive. I missed the gentle light from outside and the sounds of the rain.

There's so much I love about our modern technological world, but sometimes it's nice to take a step back and power down.

I'm leaving for California in the morning. The only piece of technology I'm taking with me is my phone, and I'd leave that behind if it weren't irresponsible.

These are the books I'm taking with me:


More books than days I'll be gone. The last time I was sensible about the number of books I took on vacation, I ran out with a week left. I had to borrow my uncle's Costco card and use vacation funds to buy myself a shiny, new stack of books to finish out the rest of my trip. I made a vow to my inner, avid reader that such a travesty would never occur again.

2 comments:

  1. Did you read all of those books while you were here on vacation? I'm so impressed that you kept up the voracious reader inside all of these years :) The last book I finished took me 9 months to read... oy.

    ReplyDelete