Tuesday, December 31, 2013

What I Did in 2013

I read 65 books.

I completed Nanowrimo.

I wrote halves of two other books.

I drastically reduced the size of my wardrobe. I still have too many clothes.

I distributed clothes I didn't wear anymore among my sisters. The clothes I gave away look much better on them than they ever did on me. I love it.

I dreamed and planned and talked of sewing my own clothes but didn't make a single thing.

There was a dearth of baked deliciousness. For reasons unknown I did very little treat making.

I filled up a journal and half-filled another one.

I got skinnier without really trying. Not knowing exactly what I weighed at the beginning of the year and having no idea what I weigh now, I can't quantify the difference. I can say that my clothes fit funny but I'm doing my absolute best to make them work. I do not like pants shopping.

I took an article of clothing to the tailor for the first time ever. I'm a fan of tailors.

I reduced my spending by focusing on necessities rather than wants.

Just as I was considering easing up on my year of no spending, my parents began their own year of no spending. Together, we're doing very little money spending. Ma has taken to keeping boxes of crackers in her car so she's not tempted to stop for a snack while out and about. I'm super proud of her.

I worked on mastering the art of singing. I still have a long way to go but can now with hardly a thought talk up in my face instead of down in my throat. Trust me—that means progress.

I played with each of my four new nephews, even the ones that live faraway. I'm seriously in love.

I worked a second job for the sole benefit of attending barre workout classes for free.

I taught myself how to make friendship bracelets. Don't ask me how I missed that pre-teen train but I can say with confidence that was not a part of my childhood.

I tried eating like a vegan for two months. It was delicious and not as hard as I thought it would be. I missed butter and baking with eggs like crazy. I also missed cheese. My mother believes the government shut down was the catalyst for my eating experiment. I don't know if she's right though her logic is sound.

I chopped off nearly a foot and a half of hair. I'm just beginning to have some length again and it is delightful.

I currently have the most adorable, short ponytail.

I was offered a temporary, 10-month position in Paris. I turned it down.

I tried three kinds of apples I'd never had before: Opal, Black Arkansas, and Pinata.

I nearly completed a patchwork quilt top. It's only missing a second border.

I kept my plant alive.

I purchased my first pair of skinny jeans. And then three more. None of them really fit anymore.

I visited
  • Las Vegas
  • Upstate New York
  • New York City
  • Vermont
  • Donner Lake
  • Sacramento
  • Portland
  • Park City
  • Grace, Idaho
  • Grand Canyon
  • Bryce Canyon
  • Zion's

This is the fist time in half a dozen years that Iowa hasn't figured in my travels.

I gained friends and lost friends.

I picked up knitting again after 15 years. Fingerless gloves, half a pair of socks, and the beginnings of a blanket have been added to the hall of things Megan has knitted. Previously, the sole occupant was a scarf I knitted for my American girl doll at the age of 12.

I gave myself a Nook for my birthday. I travel too often and read too much to rely on physical books.

I did not make significant progress in French though I do think I am slightly better off than I was a year ago.

I ate more chocolate chocolate doughnuts, frozen yogurt, ice cream, and bags of chocolate chips and marshmallows than any one person should lay claim to. Just the thought of all that deliciousness makes my heart happy.

I worked on paying attention to my body and how it was feeling. It was all part of an effort to take better care of it. This led to several things:
  • I can no longer overeat. If I do overeat, my body reacts violently and I have to concentrate hard on not being sick.
  • I'm still running. I don't push my body to go farther or faster than it is capable of. Because of this, I no longer despise running like I used to. When I like running better, then I can push myself.
  • I don't worry about an exercise schedule. I exercise when I feel up to it. I don't when I don't.
  • I discovered I'm the biggest stress ball that ever there was. My parents and siblings also live their lives as stress balls. We are a family of stress balls.
  • I also discovered that I am very, very bad at relaxing. I knew this, but I didn't realize I was as bad as I am. I am working on it. I often stop, take a big breath, smile in an I'm trying to relax sort of way, and then carry on with less stress and muscle clenching.
  • I've gone through bottles and bottles of lotion. My skin is happier. I am not. Boo to slimy lotion.
  • I started washing my face with honey in the morning and olive oil at night. It's super weird but I love it. My face has never been so moisturized.

I turned 27. It's encouraging to think I've come so far.

1 comment: