Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Phoenix

I didn't work yesterday. That meant a three-day weekend.

The Ma had a rental car because someone ran into her and her car needed fixing.

Rental car paid for by someone else? Three-day weekend? There's only one possible outcome when two such factors are put into the same equation. Road trip!

We thought about the Sequoia National Park. I've never seen the giant redwoods and I've wanted to pretty much forever. Winter is not the perfect time for visiting the giant redwoods. Too much snow.

We settled on Phoenix instead. I was so super excited to go down there. This is why: temperature right now: 27 degrees; temperature over the weekend in Phoenix: 70s.

It might seem crazy to drive down to Phoenix when you only have three days. It's a ten-hour drive after all and to get there and back you'll need two days for driving. That leaves one day for vacationing. That didn't bother me or the Ma. I've done such three-day weekends before. You can read about one of those weekends here. As you can see, I'm well-versed in three-day weekend, ridiculous drive, road trips.

Phoenix was also a good choice because I've been meaning to visit here for some time now. Also, on the road down you end up pretty close to the south rim of the grand canyon. Only the smallest of detours would get you there. I also love the idea of this restaurant and put it on my list of to-dos in Phoenix some time ago.

I didn't do any of those things. Ma and I laughed and played and made ourselves sick on the swings at the park. We lay in our beds and read our books. We sat on the couch with a bag of popcorn and a box of junior mints between us and watched old movies.

It was a perfect sort of weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment