Thursday, January 16, 2014

Skeptical Ventures

I recently pulled out my trusty nanowrimo novel. It's a mess. Like a big mess. I've been working on fixing it. I'm on chapter four now. What that means is that I put a couple of spaces between what I had written and the top of the page, and then I fill that space with new words. Once I've finished filling up the space with new words, I take all the old words out and copy them into my discards folder.

Yes, I am completely rewriting my nanowrimo novel.

But it's going so much better! And the only reason I can make it better is because I typed it all out in a month long writing binge and it was awful. Now I can fix it. Also, it will be shorter. Probably with only half as many words but a more complete plot line. Win and win.

I've taken to putting down Writing in my planner every day. I look at the list I have for the day and written to the side in big, bold letters is Writing and it mentally becomes a part of my day. Oh yeah,when can I fit that in? I don't do much writing in any single day, but I'm doing it.

I'm really good at making messes. Going back and cleaning them up is a new thing. I'm skeptical about the merit of such a venture. But I'm skeptical about many of the ways I spend my time recently. I mean, running? Who thought that was a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment