Friday, January 20, 2012

San Francisco


I’ve been obsessed with San Francisco for the past year or so. I’m not really sure where the obsession came from. It would maybe make sense if I had seen a special on the travel channel or read a great book set in San Francisco. I didn’t. I just love San Francisco. I’ve been telling people that I’m going to live there someday and I’ve pretty much got LindsayB convinced that she should move there with me.

I meant to go visit last year over the fourth of July. I didn’t. Pretty much saddest thing ever.

So, when LindsayB sent me an IM saying, “Three-day weekend = you and me in San Francisco,” I naturally responded with a “why yes, yes it does.”

Our weekend ended up being 1 part car ride and 2 parts San Francisco and it was amazing!

Not sure you believe 22 hours in the car for less than 48 hours in San Francisco is worth it?

Let me give a little glimpse of what happens when two crazy girls have 44 hours in the fabulous city of San Francisco.

  • Valet parking at the Marriott downtown (yeah, that was totally a highlight; drive in downtown San Francisco and you’ll understand)
  • Jaunt through Chinatown
  • Stroll through Little Italy
  • Some time in front of the window at the Boudin bakery (the cute baker was very obliging and waved and smiled like a champ after finishing her two crab loaves; do you think they rotate bakers in and out of the secret back room for when they get tired of smiling and waving at all the tourists breathing on their window?)
  • Walk around Fisherman’s Wharf, enabling me to acquire a magnet memorializing my time there
  • Amble through Pier 39
  • Visit with the seals hanging out in the bay
  • Sandwiches on super delicious Boudin sourdough bread
  • Massive sundaes at the Ghirardelli shop in Ghiradelli square (mint and chocolate ice cream with piles and piles of Ghirardelli dark chocolate hot fudge)
  • A drive down Lombard Street (courtesy of my best cuz Steph and her husband Jon)
  • Walk around Union Square exploring the expensive shops with scores for each of us (J. Crew iPad case made in San Francisco for me; Kate Spade iPhone case for Lindsay; 50% off Vera Bradley bag for Steph, which she didn’t get—oh the disappointment)
  • Ride on the famous cable cars
  • Fantastic color changing nail polish from Del Sol
  • Boat tour around the Bay, under the Golden Gate Bridge, and around Alcatraz
  • Peek at Chinese New Year celebrations (second time through Chinatown)
  • Lazy afternoon hours at the bookstore City Lights
  • A cup of the best hot chocolate ever—really
  • Adorable Jimmy Choo sandal wedges for only about $300, basically a steal (I wish I could say I purchased them or at least tried them on, but I didn’t)
  • Acquisition of a real live Blommingdale’s Little Brown Bag
  • Game of Cribbage (5-card)
  • Three stops at the closest Walgreen’s (there were about eight around Union square, no lie) for cash back with our purchase, the limit being twenty dollars with each transaction
  • Compliment from the Marriott bellman on the cleanliness of my trunk

Like I said, totally worth it.

And I’ve already got my list for the next time I visit San Francisco.

  • Another cup of that amazing hot chocolate
  • Ride on the cable cars (as many times as possible!)
  • Bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge (preferably on a tandem bike because that would just be awesome)
  • Victorian House Tour
  • A show at the Orpheum Theater (Mamma Mia is going to be there soon!)
  • Some delicious San Francisco seafood right by the bay
  • A visit to Golden Gate Park
  • An Earthquake from the shop in Ghirardelli Square: eight scoops of ice cream, eight delicious toppings, with bananas, whipped cream, almonds, and Ghirardelli chocolate chips

I also intend to be far enough along in my basic drawing class to feel confident sketching some of the sites in San Francisco.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe everything you guys were able to do in that short of time. I definitely had the wrong reply when you invited me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure you could capture the greatness in a bullet list, but you sure managed to. The obsession with San Francisco continues... :)

    ReplyDelete