Thursday, October 18, 2012

Homeless and Poor or Maybe Crazy

Apparently that's what I was the other day.

The Ma and I had a couple of errands to run in the center of town. Instead of parking a couple of times, we parked once and crossed the street to get to our errands on the other side. (Why did the mom and the daughter cross the road? To get to their errands on the other side!) The intersection we crossed is fairly central and it's always busy (even in the early morning hours; don't ask me how I know because I'll never admit to it). It takes a long time to walk across that street. This is what happened while we were doing it.

The Ma: *sniggle, sniggle, sniggle

Me: *quizzical brow raise

The Ma: We're homeless and poor. *sniggle

Me: *confused face squench* What?

The Ma: *sniggle* Whenever I see someone walking across this road I think, "Oh you poor, homeless person."

Me: *pause of thought ending in serious confusion* Because only poor, homeless people walk across this road.

The Ma: *sniggle, sniggle* Yes! What sane person with a car and a roof over their head would walk? *sniggle, sniggle

Yup, that really happened.

For the sake of increased understanding, I should tell you my mother has this funny little laugh that bursts out of her when she thinks something is so funny that she can't contain it. I call this her sniggle. It is not malicious. Usually, when she sniggles she's sniggling at herself, as in the story above.

In my mother's defense, it's not entirely her fault that she has strange ideas when it comes to a body being moved by its own force rather than that of a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment