Monday, July 29, 2013

Reading in French

Reading in French is tedious. I don't actually know French, which necessitates frequent word look ups. It takes a very, very long time.

I've come up with a new strategy which probably actually isn't new and I ought to have realized it was a thing and implemented it a long time ago. I'm reading the French version with the English version right beside it. Brilliant, I know. And now you all know why after 10 years of semi-consistent (read: not consistent at all) study of French, I still haven't mastered it. I'm a little slow.

I'm currently making my way through Harry Potter. Next up, Chronicles of Narnia. For reals. Also, I like to read it out loud so I can practice making the sounds. This probably means I'm practicing poor pronunciation. (Wait! I can solve this problem! I think this might be a necessity in my life.)

Someday I'll graduate to reading actual French works in French, like The Hunchback of Notre Dame or The Three Musketeers. I might even make it to Les Miserables. Or not.

I may have started wishing I could read classical works in their original language, which means knowing Greek and Latin. I swear, going kitchen crazy does not bode well for my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment