Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Birds and Boulders

I should be getting about 55-60 grams of protein. That is a lot of protein when you consider that I'm not much of a meat eater. I can go a couple weeks without eating any kind of meat and not notice.

There's some things you ought to know about protein.
  • Protein is important because it makes everything work. (I when I say everything, I mean everything. No protein, no you.)
  • What's important about protein is the amino acids. Our bodies break down protein into the amino acids and then string them together again to make the particular proteins we need to function.
  • Protein from meat has all of the amino acids we need.
  • Meat comes with many other things that aren't so great such as saturated fats.
  • There aren't very many sources of plant-based proteins that contain all of necessary amino acids.
  • It's possible to get all of the necessary amino acids from plant-based protein if you make sure to mix it up (i.e., eat legumes and whole grains for your protein).
  • Studies have shown that a good majority of you probably get 50% more protein than you need.
  • I am not an expert on protein and probably don't know what I'm talking about.
I have determined that because I eat so little meat, if I get my daily recommended amount of protein from the foods I eat (not supplements), I will basically have all of my other nutritional recommendations covered. It's like killing a dozen birds with one stone. Except this is more like a boulder.

Boulders are not easily heaved into the air. That being the case, I'm considering trying these.

There are m&ms in the break room. I'm eating vegetables. I think the protein content of the m&ms might actually be higher, seeing as they are peanut m&ms.

1 comment:

  1. Peanut M&Ms are good for morale, too. Double bonus. That's why I partook and joyfully.

    ReplyDelete