Friday, February 24, 2012

The Nightmare Corner

There's a corner in my room. It's a nightmare. A triple nightmare since it's really three corners.

See, like this:

Like I said, triple nightmare corner. Do you know what happens in a nightmare corner that is really three corners? It grows stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Stuff you've never seen before, stuff that you don't even know what it is. That's what happens in a nightmare corner.

The only possible way to deal with a nightmare corner is to arm yourself, prepare yourself for the worst, and then dig in. A vacuum, a rag and cleaner (I'm obsessed with having clean baseboards; I blame my mother), and determination were my weapons. Avoiding school work gave me all the motivation I needed to get started.

Currently the nightmare corner is winning. Except it's no longer a nightmare corner. The triple corner that will haunt every organizer's nightmares looks all clean and shiny now. The problem is, all the stuff that used to be in the nightmare corner is currently parked in the middle of my room.

Like this: 



These are some of the things I've come across while digging out my corner (and are now scattered about my floor; see image above):

  • First driver's license. I was adorable.
  • GRE scores. My verbal was a few hundred points above average; my math was just about average, which I remember finding disappointing when I first got my scores (three years ago?), but really that's not so bad considering my last math class was the first half of my senior year of high school and I didn't study for the GRE.
  • An advertisement from Washington Mutual for 5.6% APR on a CD opened with at least $1,000. Remember when they were still around? This was just after I graduated high school. I opened one for a short term with the required $1,000. I opened another one for a much longer term with a much heftier chunk of change. All that money is long gone by now.
  • A pile of French flash cards.
  • My monster truck, Sudden Impact.
  • The purse Kelly Belly brought for me from Seattle I don't even know how many years ago. I'm currently using it as I have several times over the years.
  • My Christmas sock with the elves (knit by my father). I also have a Christmas sock with what looks like dancing Mexicans on it (knit by my grandfather) but that's tucked away under the porch.
  • Article from the Daily Universe covering the death of President Hinkley.
  • Article from the Daily Universe covering the new First Presidency.
  • Box of sidewalk chalk.
I'm thinking of renaming my corner. It shall be known forevermore as Treasure Corner!

PS There's a monster truck jam in Salt Lake tonight and I so wish I was there! :(

PPS Although avoiding school work may have been my reason for digging in to Treasure Corner, it now gives me all the excuse I need to not finish up. I think I might just go crazy if all that stuff doesn't get swept away sometime soon. In the meantime, my school work is looking ship-shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment