Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's a well-known fact that winter my favorite season. Okay, it might not be well-known, but if you ever care to have a conversation about winter I will defend it quite vehemently. I think winter gets a bad rap. There's something so cozy and snug about winter. It's easier for me to know where I stand in winter.

Fall and spring are right up there with winter. Definitely not my fave, but I love them bunches. I think it has something to do with the transitory nature of these seasons. I'm addicted to change, to movement, to progress. Spring and fall are promises of something more to come. They move you from one place to another.

Summer is by far my least favorite it season. It just doesn't compare to the others. Even so, I love summer fiercely.

Yesterday was the first really spectacularly sunny day of the year. I slipped out of work in the middle of the day and walked around my building a few times. Not much of a view, but I wasn't looking for one. I was concentrating instead on the feel, the sun and the wind and the slight crispness in the spring air.

Where winter is snug and cozy, summer is fancy-free and adventurous. Summer is a time for becoming; winter is a time for being.

This, of course, is a completely false perception. I become during the winter and I be during the summer just as much as the other way. But that's how it feels to me. That's how I mark my time.

And my life seems to be somewhat consistent with those feelings. There's no question that I have adventures in the snug winter months, but mostly I don't. Come spring and summer time, there's no end to them.

These are the adventures currently on my docket (in no particular order):
  • Lightening-fast trip to Portland
  • Month of May Skirt Fest
  • At least a couple of 5ks (and I hope at least one 10k)
  • Trip to Iowa
  • Ingrid Michaelson
  • Beginning of Summer trip to Vegas with my ma and my little sis
  • Trip to VA to visit it my big sis and her fam
  • Shakespeare festival in Cedar City
  • Aladdin at the Tuacahn
  • Catalina Island hiking adventure
  • Party week in Park City
  • Fun.
  • Weekend in beautiful Grace

Yup, all that is happening.

The crazy thing is, this is just the beginning. I consider my summer plans to be rather formless. I haven't much considered this summer. It's been too cold and wintry. But summer is coming, and quickly.

I need to take some serious thought to figure out what exactly it is I want to do with myself this summer. Then, perhaps, I can present a real list of what my summer is going to be.

Though now that I'm taking a second or two to think about it, I rather think my summer is going to match my non-resolution from the beginning of the year. Take time and its adventures as they come. Live this summer for me.

2 comments:

  1. I love your plans. I love how "fun" is on the list. Be sure to have that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weekend in beautiful Grace?! Yay!! I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but that's me, right? I hope so! That would be a blast!

    ReplyDelete