Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Once Upon a Time

I was a pianist. A real pianist. I was serious about it. I was going to play piano to audiences around the globe.

That was a long time ago and I haven't spent much time with my piano in the past decade or so. Funny how our dreams change, huh?

I turned on the radio the other day to spur me on to greater academic progress and my last concerto came on. It was the beginning, the orchestral part before the piano comes in, but I recognized it right away. It was the first movement of Chopin's second piano concerto. I learned it when I was 15. It was the last serious piece I played.

I have included a video of it here, for your viewing and listening pleasure. There's nothing better than watching a pianist's crazy hands!

Warning: The orchestral introduction is a bit long, but just be patient. The piano starts at about minute 3:00.


This is only the first half of the first movement. The second half is just as fantastic and was even more fun to play.

Can I just say that I am seriously jealous of his massive man hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment